Friday, June 19, 2009

nǐhǎo

nǐhǎo!
Wow what an eventful 24+ hours it has been! The days seem to be so long yet I don't want them to end. I was finally able to get some good sleep last night. I was the first to fall asleep in my room and the last to rise. I am sure this comes to no surprise to a lot of you. You know how I LOVE my sleep!
last night we ate at the REAL rain forest cafe. I am serious! This restaurant had tons of live trees and plants inside. It was pretty neat. You had to order up front before you sat down. This is how you ordered.
Look at the pictures, and point to what you want. Some stuff I wanted NOTHING to do with! Luckily the two leaders ordered for us! Here's a picture of the menu.




Today the children were all ready and waiting for us promptly at 8:30. I am not sure of the exact number of children, but it has to be somewhere near 40 or 50. Its like working in the preschool except there is a language barrier. The children are beautiful. We did crafts with them and played with balls and bubbles. It was EXTREMELY humid this morning and we were all sweating just standing there. Playing became quite the challenge, but we kept on going because the kids were having so much fun. Their laugh is the most wonderful noise I have ever heard. They smile at everything and reach out to you to be held.
After morning activities the kids go in for a rest and we get one as well. We took a walk down the road and wandered into a small village. We were quite exciting to the people that lived there. I don't know if they had veer seen such a sight! Apparently they don't have garbage pick up so garbage is left wherever. It was a neat walk but very different from what life is like in the US. We are very blessed.
We got back together at 2:30 for more activities and free time. During free time me and two girls from the team went to one of the houses to see if we could hold some of the babies. There are six houses that the children are in and each have a special name. We went into the house of love. As soon as we got upstairs there was this adorable little boy sitting on the floor all by himself with both of his legs in casts. He lit up when he saw us. Andrea went over to him and he did not want her to leave his side. He was smiling and laughing and you could tell his day had been made by here sitting down and giving him attention. I made my way around and held this really cute little girl. Two babies in the house had cleft lips which was the first time I had seen it in real life. It breaks your heart yet the kids are still happy and still smile. As we had to leave to go get dinner the boy in the leg casts was very sad to see us go. Tears came to my eyes and Andrea broke down crying as she said it was the saddest thing she had ever seen. It makes you think. What were the parents of these children thinking as they abandoned them? Where did they leave them? So many of them have fixable needs. One baby is here simply because she was born premature. I know God has made each of these children and He has a plan for them all. Like He says “we are all fearfully and wonderfully made”. It is so easy for us in the United States to sit in the comforts of our homes and not travel to see where there is a true need. It's heartbreaking and yes it would be easier to stay home and not acknowledge the needs and the pains of this world. How can we proclaim to know Christ if we just sit there and not help those in need. I just kept thinking today these children have no idea what has happened to them. Will they dwell on it one day? Will they ask why? Will they have God in their lives to get them through those thoughts? I prayed over many of these children today. I prayed that they would be adopted into a loving Christ centered home. Will you all join me in praying for these precious angels? God is good and powerful and He is working here in China.
Tomorrow is my theme day so I am hoping for a great day. I cannot wait to see my kids again tomorrow!
Vanessa


The houses the children live in


Josiah is one of my favorites!


Handsome boy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your update!! Your post brings tears to my eyes. I want to go back and scoop them all up and bring them home. As I read your post it reminds me of why God gave me our Savannah and what she and so many other children have and are going through. Give some extra kisses and hugs from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn thanks for the encouraging words. They have meant so much! I want to take them all home too. You have given Savannah the greatest gift of all, a home with a mom and a dad. Praise the Lord for you and Mike!

    ReplyDelete