Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Day in the Dirt

We had no kiddos today. It had been decided that by today the kids and us would need a day off. So we took a day to go into Beijing.
We started the morning by going to church. Yes you heard that right, going to church. We went to the Beijing International Christian Fellowship Church. Now I am sure you are wondering how we got to go to church in a country that does not accept Christianity. Well the church can be attended by foreigners only. You have to have a passport to get in and cannot enter if you are a Chinese citizen. It was a neat experience to go to church with people from all over the world. Worship was really good and extra long followed by a good sermon. It was kind of sad to think that people who are Chinese citizens cannot come and worship God freely. We are truly blessed to live in a country that lets us worship God without fear of the law taking action.After church we went and got some food at a Tex-Mex restaurant. Lol, it was interesting but it was good to have something different.
After lunch we headed to the Dirt Market. It was crazy! There was no dirt but there were rows and rows of vendors selling goods. It was the biggest flea market I had ever been to. At first I was a little unsure of it, but then it got really cool. Now it is crazy cheap to buy stuff here, but you have to barter for it. I am not good at bartering but my roommate Emma is a pro at it! She would stand firm and got me a crazy good deal on a really neat souvenir for Chad. ( I can't tell you what it is because Chad might read this)! I also scored some pearl necklaces for $12.50 a pop and some table runners. We are still going to the Pearl market later this week so I do not think my shopping is quite done yet. China can get you into trouble, although things are so cheap its the time to do it! My roommate Ana bought all of the girls in our room matching bracelets. Our room has been dubbed the "college room". We have a lot of fun together and we are already dreading the moment we will have to say goodbye to each other. Apparently there are big plans for a reunion in 6 months. We wrapped up the day by going to McDonald's for dinner. Some good old American food. I have been eating so much junk food while I have been here. I am going to need a major detox when I get home.
It was fun to go out and about today, (we actually got some blue sky today which apparently doesn't happen very much here), but I really missed being with the children. We only have 2 more days to spend with the children which makes me so sad. I don't want to leave them. I would much rather spend more time with them than go sightseeing but the plans are to leave on Thursday. I have been really thinking about what my next step will be when I return to the U.S. as I do not feel my work with orphans is over after I return home. I think there are many possibilities that could come from this trip but I am really going to ask God what He wants me to do next. Last night I was doing my quiet time and God gave me Psalm 20:4-5. "May he give you the desire of your heart and make your plans succeed. We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the Lord grant all your requests." God has given me a desire and I know he has given me a desire for a reason. Perhaps it is as simple as me returning here year after year, or perhaps it is something bigger. Whatever it is I know that God will be there to help me with it all. We serve a loving God who wants our plans to succeed and not to fail. How good and faithful He is. Please pray for me and the direction that God wants me to take after I return from this trip. I do not think my work here in China is done yet.
Well tomorrow is another full day with the kids, and I cannot wait. I borrowed a card reader from one of my teammates and was able to upload pictures from my new digital SLR camera. They are amazing. I will try to share some but the internet here is a little slow. I assure you there will be a full slide show to share with you on Shutterfly when I return.
Hope all you Fathers have a great Fathers Day!
God Bless!
Vanessa


Church in China!


The Dirt Market


McDonalds for Dinner


college Dorm Life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment