Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Great Wall and Bird's Nest

We had another day off from the kids today. While I knew we had some fun things planned for the day it is sad to think of a day without the kids. I can not believe how fast this trip is going.
We went to the Great Wall today! What an amazing place! We took a tram up the mountain and then walked down about a mile on the wall. It was so cool to be on the Great Wall. All of these years I have seen pictures but I never thought I would actually be on it. The wall is connected by towers which you can go into. There is nothing in them but it is welcomed relief from the heat. On the way down we took an alpine slide. OH MY GOODNESS IT WAS SO COOL! You say in a toboggan like seat and you had a lever in from on you., When you pushed the lever forward the toboggan went fast, when you pulled it back it would break. It was so much fun. Everyone wanted to do it again. Plus it was nice to get off the mountain quick. We even had a movie star sighting. When I came out of one of the towers I saw a guy wearing a mask. I wasnt thinking much of it until a bit later a few of my teammates came running down saying that the guy with the mask on was Leonardo DiCaprio and Vin Diesel was with him! I was so bummed I didn't realize who they were! Does that still count as a movie star sighting?
After we got some lunch and then went into a shop where they made copper vases. It was cool to see but stuff was pretty expensive to buy. We then took off for the Ming tombs. Its basically a bunch of tombs of Emperors from the Ming dynasty. (I think that info is correct)Then we headed back into Beijing for dinner. We were pleasantly surprised to find out we would be dining by the Birds Nest and Water Cube from the Olympics and would be passing right by it. Let me tell you it was so cool to see in person. The birds nest looks much cooler than it looks on TV. I wish we could have gone inside. The water cube looks much bigger than it does on TV. We had dinner and then headed back to the orphanage. By the time we had returned our day had lasted for more than 12 hours, but boy what a day.
I am very sad to think that tomorrow is our last day with the kids. I feel like I haven't gotten my fill, like I could spends weeks more with them. I wish Chad was here to experience all of this with me. I keep thinking about what the next step will be. I don't really have definitive answers so I will just need to wait on the Lord until he tells me what comes next. I know with God I can do anything and I am not going to underestimate myself. I cant wait until God revels it to me.
Well I am dead tired from a full day of walking. I will be sure to share more tomorrow. I am realizing that I am going to have to continue my blog after I return home as there are many more stories and experiences I have yet to share on here! Isn't blogging an amazing thing!
Hope everything is going well back in the U.S.!
Vanessa








The Alpine Slide


The Birds Nest

No comments:

Post a Comment